You can check out up to 99 items at any one time. There are a few other specific item limits:
|Material Type||Item Limit|
|DVDs||20 per card|
|Chromebooks||1 per card|
|Mobile Hotspots||1 per card|
|Video Games||3 per card|
|Overdrive/Libby eBooks||10 per card|
|Hoopla digital items||8 per card, per month
|Material Type||Loan Period|
|Books, audiobooks, CDs, pamphlets, non-feature DVDs, tools, video games||3 Weeks|
|Feature DVDs, magazines, CDs, Chromebooks, Hotspots||1 Week|
|Bike locks||Until end of day|
You can extend the loan period of your borrowed items up to a maximum of 9 times. Checked-out items can be renewed unless someone has placed a hold on the item.
Some materials have renewal limits, depending on the item type:
|Books, audiobooks, DVDs, CDs, tools||9|
|Chromebooks, Hotspots, pamphlets, magazines, video games, LINK+ and ILL items||1|
|Lucky Day Collection materials, including books and DVDs||Not renewable|
You can renew online by logging into your account or by calling us during open hours at 408-615-2970. Check out this renewal tutorial for guidance. For all methods of renewal, please have your library card number and the materials you want to renew available.
Items that are renewed after the due date are subject to late fees.
You can return your checked out materials to any of our branches. All locations have bookdrops available for after-hours returns.
Chromebooks and Mobile Hotspots should only be returned to the Customer Service Desk during open hours. Do not return these items through the bookdrop.
Returns/renewals are processed in "real time." Because of this, you should return or renew your materials before midnight on the due date to avoid overdue fees.
You can request books, audiobooks, Chromebooks, CD-Roms, magazines, music CDs, and DVDs/videos that are currently checked out. This can be done through the website, in person, or over the phone.
When the item becomes available, we will contact you by e-mail (if we have your e-mail address) or U.S. mail. The item will be held for you on the hold shelf under your name (unless you have provided us with an alternate “alias” to use instead). Once you pick up the item from the shelf, you’ll need the card it was requested on in order to check it out. Requested Chromebooks and Mobile Hotspots are held behind the Customer Service Desk, and you will need to present valid photo identification in addition to your library card to check it out.
You can be on hold for 10 items at a time. This includes LINK+ holds.
|Material Type||Fine Amount|
|Most Library Materials||$0.25 per day overdue|
|Interlibrary Loans||$1.50 per day overdue|
|LINK+ Materials||$1.00 per day overdue|
|City Council DVDs||$2.50 per day overdue|
|Chromebooks||$30 if overdue|
|Replacement Card Fee||$2.00|
Fines are charged daily for items that are not returned or renewed by their due dates. To avoid overdue fees, a receipt is given to you at checkout with the due dates of your materials. Please keep this receipt. If it is misplaced, you can log into your record to find your due dates, or give us a call and we can let you know when your items need to come back.
It is your responsibility to keep track of due dates. Fines will not be waived due to courtesy notices not being received or receipts being lost.
If your library record has fines of $25.00 or greater, you will be unable to checkout more material, or renew online, until some of it is paid for. Payments can be made online by logging into your library account and paying with a credit card. Cash, check (payable to the City of Santa Clara), and credit card payments are also accepted in person at the Customer Service Desk.
Library accounts that owe at least $50 in fines and bills will be referred to a collection agency. A $16 collections fee will also be added to the fines on the account. Patrons who have been referred to collections are responsible for paying all charges in full to avoid being credit-reported.
A lost item will result in your card being billed for both the item price and a processing fee. The item price is determined by the price we paid for the item originally. The processing fee is $5.00 for paperbacks and magazines and $15.00 for all other item types.
- 1 week checkout; renewals up to one time if there are no holds.
- Must be 13 years or older with a valid photo ID to check out a Chromebook.
- Chromebook checkout is limited to one per person per week.
- There is a $30.00 overdue fee.
- A fee of $265.00 will be charged for Chromebooks that are lost, stolen, damaged or not returned within 3 days. The patron will be reported to a Collection Agency.
- Chromebooks must be returned to the Customer Service Desk complete with bag, power supply cord, and mouse.
- 1 week checkout; renew it one time if there are no holds, or place a hold.
- Must be 13 years old and up with a valid photo ID to check out a Hotspot.
- Hotspot checkout is limited to one per person per week.
- There is a $30.00 overdue fee.
- A fee of $60.00 will be charged for Hotspots that are lost, stolen, damaged, or not returned within 3 days and the patron will be reported to a Collection Agency.
- Hotspots must be returned to the Customer Service Desk complete with the included bag and power supply cord. If a Hotspot is not returned by the due date, it will be turned off and the wireless service will be terminated.
- 3 week checkout; no renewals.
- $.25 overdue fee, with a maximum charge of $8.00.
- A bill of $59.95 will be charged for FitBit Zips™ that are lost, stolen, damaged or not returned within 3 days after the due date. The patron will be reported to a Collection Agency.
- A lost sleeve will result in a bill for $20.00.
- A lost clear box case will result in a bill for $2.00.